Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Grilled Goodness

I was going to take a picture, but then it was all eaten by the time I grabbed the camera. My friends, I present to you the most amazing food I have ever eaten in the history of ever:


It is much more appetizing in reality, I swear. The doodle does not do it justice. I got my grill back up and running this weekend. I bought said grill nearly two years ago. Eventually the gas ran out and it has taken me close to a year to get a new tank. I got a new tank and now have the grillin' fever. I can't stop. I must grill ALL THE THINGS!

If you can't guess, it was tomatillo-honey-lime chicken tacos topped with charred slaw and mango salsa. Hello! Yum.

I didn't use a recipe and may not be able to duplicate it. Below are my jottings of what I remember.


Chicken:

Blend in a blender till liquified: 1 tomatillo, 3 cloves garlic, some red onion, cilantro, lime juice, white vinegar, honey, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, all spice, and oil. Marinade tenderized chicken breast for an our or so. I slice the breasts long-ways so they are thinner. Throw on a hot grill til cooked and it has those beautiful black grill marks.

Charred slaw:

Chop a head of cabbage into bog wedges. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with S&P. Throw on hot grill till edges are charred and tender and smells divine. Don't cook it, just get those edges black and you want it slightly tender.  Slice cabbage into a slaw. The vinigrette is: apple cidar vinegar, mayo, S&P, sugar, honey, minced or grated red onion, and chopped cilantro. Toss it all together and throw in the fridge.

Mango salsa:

Chop a mango into medium sized chunks. You want it small enough so it gets all the good flavor, but large enough so that it holds it's shape and doesn't become mush. Drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and toss with minced red pepper.

Slice chicken and put on a warm tortilla. Top with slaw and finish off with the mango. It's so good. The chicken was so flavorful and made my taste buds happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment